Blackberry Crumble a la Mode
Summer in a bowl—sweet, juicy blackberries baked with a crunchy oatmeal crumble and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Resistance is futile.
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups fresh blackberries (about 16 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- Juice of one medium lemon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Vanilla ice cream
- Fresh mint for garnish, optional
- Prepare to bake—Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prep the berries—In a large bowl, stir together berries, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Make the crumble—Place butter, salt, and remaining sugar in a small bowl and stir until fully mixed. Stir in oats and remaining flour, then mix with fingers until it comes together in course crumbles.
- Bake the crumble—Spread blackberry mixture evenly in small skillet. Sprinkle or spoon crumble over the top and bake for 20 minutes. If blackberries are bubbling and crumble is golden brown, you’re good to go. If not, keep baking for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Cool in skillet for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish and serve—Spoon crumble into 4 dishes and top each with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream and a sprig of fresh mint. Enjoy!
Make this crumble with any summer fruit—strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches…it’s all good!