Caramel Apple French Toast
Dessert for breakfast? Why not? This weekend indulge in homemade French toast topped with warm, caramelized apples. Take it over the top with a scoop of vanilla or salted caramel ice cream. Yum!
Total Time: 45m
Prep Time: 10m
Cooking Time: 35m
- 7 apples (peeled and sliced)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 5 tbsp butter
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 medium or large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6-10 slices of bread (challah works nicely)
- caramel ice cream for topping (optional)
- Place apples, brown sugar and 4 tbsp of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until brown sugar dissolves and the butter melts. Add 1 tbsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon, and the maple syrup. Reduce heat and simmer for 6-10 more minutes. Remove from heat and let cool and thicken while you make the french toast.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 2 tsp vanilla, and ½ tsp cinnamon. Melt 1 tbsp of butter in a large frypan over medium heat. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture, one by one to coat evenly on both sides. Place 2-3 pieces at a time on frypan, cooking each side for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- When done, plate by topping with apples and syrup mixture. Add ice cream on top if desired. Serve while still warm.