Chicken & Sweet Pepper Stir-Fry
Busy weeknights were made for our quick and easy stir-fry starring chicken and sweet peppers in a tangy sauce. Add a side of steamed rice and dinner is done.
Total Time: 25m
Prep Time: 10m
Cooking Time: 15m
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound mini sweet peppers, seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Sauté the aromatics—Heat olive oil in a sauté pan or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for about 2 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and sauté for another minute or two, stirring constantly.
- Stir-fry the chicken and peppers—Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to pan along with peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are soft and chicken is cooked through, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Make the sauce—In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, zest, and soy sauce.
- Finish the stir-fry—Add sauce to pan and stir to combine evenly. Cook until sauce begins to thicken, a minute or two. Add a tablespoon of water to thin sauce, if needed. Garnish with a handful of fresh cilantro and serve over steamed rice.