Easy Cheesy Grits
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup grits or polenta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Start cooking the grits—Bring milk, water, and salt to boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the grits or polenta gradually, while continually whisking to avoid clumps. When grits are incorporated, reduce heat to low and whisk frequently to prevent scorching. Continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Finish the grits—Remove pan from heat. Add pepper and butter and whisk until butter is melted. Then gradually whisk in cheese until fully incorporated. Serve piping hot.
Take grits over the top by stirring in crumbled bacon or sausage before serving. Morning never tasted so good.
Our GreenPan Ceramic Nonstick Saucepans release sticky recipes like cheesy grits with ease, and the extra nonstick coating makes cleanup incredibly quick and simple.