Easy-Peasy Asparagus Risotto
Nervous about cooking risotto? Don’t be. It takes a little patience and a lot of stirring, but our creamy and comforting vegetarian risotto is definitely worth the effort.
Total Time: 45m
Prep Time: 15m
Cooking Time: 30m
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 pound asparagus, steamed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for sprinkling \ Handful of fresh, chopped mint
- Heat the stock—Add stock to medium saucepan, bring to a simmer, then lower heat so stock stays hot, but not boiling.
- Sauté the onion—Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Start the rice—Add rice to sauté pan and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute until you notice a nutty aroma. Be careful not to let the rice turn brown. Stir in wine until liquid is completely absorbed.
- Stir in the stock—Add 3/4 cup of hot broth, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of black pepper, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed. Add another ladle when rice is almost dry and continue stirring often. Repeat for 18 minutes or so until risotto is creamy and grains are tender, but not mushy.
- Finish the risotto—Add in peas and asparagus and continue cooking until vegetables are heated through. Remove risotto from heat and stir in Parmesan, fresh mint, and a little more broth if risotto seems too thick. Ladle into individual bowls and top with a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkling of Parmesan.