Freeze & Heat Breakfast Burritos
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe red tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 flour tortillas (8” diameter)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream, divided (2 tablespoons for eggs and 1 tablespoon per tortilla)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 ounces diced deli ham or turkey (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil for pan frying
- Make the pico de gallo—In a medium bowl, mix together the onion, jalapeño, lime juice, and salt. Marinate for about 5 minutes, then add tomatoes and cilantro, stirring to combine evenly. Taste and add more salt, if needed. Allow mixture to marinate for at least 15 minutes. For best flavor, make ahead and store covered in fridge a few hours or up to four days.
- Prep the eggs—In a medium bowl, whisk together 6 eggs with 2 tablespoons of sour cream, adding salt and pepper to taste. Stir in deli meat, if using.
- Prepare the pan—Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the eggs—Pour egg mixture into skillet and stir with spatula until just cooked through, about three minutes. Eggs will still look a bit wet, but resist the urge to overcook. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Assemble the burritos—Spread 1 tablespoon of sour cream into the center of tortilla, top with 1/6 of cooked eggs, and sprinkle with mozzarella. Roll burrito from top to bottom, tightly wrapping the top flap over filling, folding edges in tightly and rolling to seal with bottom flap. Repeat with remaining burritos. Cook immediately or store in freezer.
- Heat the burritos—Lightly coat skillet with olive oil and place over medium heat. Place burritos folded side down and cook for about two minutes. Turn with tongs and continue cooking until golden brown on all sides. Serve warm with pico de gallo.
Forgot to leave burritos in the fridge overnight? No problem. Just wrap frozen burrito in a paper towel and microwave on high for about 2 minutes. Then proceed with step 6 of the recipe.
Our GreenPan Ceramic Nonstick Frypans require less oil than traditional skillets, and the extra nonstick coating makes cleanup incredibly quick and simple.