Lemon Chicken Piccata
Dress up boneless chicken breasts in a white wine sauce that’s bursting with fresh citrus flavor. Serve with your favorite pasta or pair with zucchini noodles and roasted cauliflower to up the nutrition factor.
Total Time: 40m
Prep Time: 15m
Cooking Time: 25m
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied, then cut in half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour for dredging
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- Pinch of lemon zest
- Chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Prep the chicken—Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge chicken in flour on both sides.
- Cook the chicken—In a large skillet over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter melts and oil begins to sizzle, add 4 pieces of chicken and cook until browned on bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate. Add another 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil and repeat process for the other 4 pieces of chicken. Add the rest of the chicken to plate.
- Start the sauce—Add lemon juice, wine, capers, and lemon zest to pan. Bring to a boil, scraping brown bits from pan into sauce. Reduce heat to low, return chicken to pan and simmer for about 5 minutes, until sauce begins to thicken.
- Finish and serve—Transfer chicken to serving dish. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk to emulsify. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley, if desired.
No wine? No problem!
Swap out white wine for 1/2 a cup of chicken stock.
Make it Easier
Our GreenPan Ceramic Nonstick Frypans brown chicken beautifully and cleans up in minutes, no soaking required.