Marinated Steak with Summer Salad
Our red wine, brown sugar, and Dijon marinade transforms ordinary flank steak into something spectacular. Paired with a simple arugula salad drizzled with citrus vinaigrette, this will quickly earn a place in your summer repertoire.
Total Time: 1hr 5m
Prep Time: 15m
Cooking Time: 50m
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 3 large shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steak
- 1/4 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz asparagus
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 basil leaves, finely shredded
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 oz fresh button mushrooms, cleaned and halved if large
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey or to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups of arugula, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large dish, whisk red wine, mustard, brown sugar, garlic, shallots, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Place the steak in a plastic bag and add the marinade. Refrigerate for 30 mins to 1 hr (up to 8 hrs).
- Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the steak, turning once, until medium-rare, about 5 minutes each side. The internal temperature should be 135°F for medium rare or 160°F for medium. Transfer the steak to a work surface and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While your steak is resting, prepare the salad. To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the lime, olive oil, honey, cumin, and garlic powder until combined. Place some of the vinaigrette at the bottom of a large bowl. Top with the arugula, tomatoes, and onion. Toss until well coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, melt butter. Add button mushrooms and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain and transfer to plates. Season the salad with salt and pepper. Top the steak with the button mushrooms and serve.