Not-Your-Grandmother’s Potato Salad
Our fresh take on potato salad swaps the traditional mayonnaise dressing for a tasty mustard vinaigrette. Add in boiled eggs, parsley, chives, and chopped pickles and get set to impress at your next picnic or cookout.
Servings: 4 to 6
Total Time: 35m
Prep Time: 15m
Cooking Time: 20m
- 2 1/2 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the potatoes—Place potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover potatoes by 1 inch. Add a generous dash of salt. Bring water to a rolling boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook potatoes until fork tender—about 15 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool.
- Cook the eggs—While potatoes are simmering, place eggs in saucepan and cover with 1 inch of cold water. Bring water to boil over high heat. Cover pan, remove from heat, and let eggs sit for 8 minutes. Transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water till cool, about 10 minutes. Drain, peel, and set eggs aside.
- Toast the mustard seeds—Add mustard seeds to a small skillet over medium-low heat. Toss constantly until seeds begin to pop, about a minute or so. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Make the dressing—Add vinegar, mustard, and honey to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Gradually add oil while whisking to emulsify. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer 3 tablespoons dressing to a small bowl and set aside.
- Make the potato salad—Add potatoes and parsley to bowl with dressing and toss to coat evenly. Transfer to serving bowl or platter. Cut eggs in half and add to salad. Sprinkle pickles, mustard seeds, and chives over salad and drizzle with reserved dressing.