Skillet Italian Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 3 drumsticks, bone in and skin on
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed, and cut into thin slices
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed or minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup pitted olive
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Prepare to bake—Preheat oven to 400°F. Pat chicken dry and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pan fry the chicken—In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add chicken, skin side down and fry for about 4 minutes. Flip chicken and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
- Sauté the aromatics—Add onion and red peppers to skillet and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté, stirring continuously for another minute.
- Add the rice— Stir in rice, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and fresh parsley until everything is evenly incorporated and rice has soaked up juices in skillet.
- Stir in stock—Add tomatoes and chicken stock and stir to distribute evenly. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. Return chicken to skillet, skin side down. Bring to a boil, then rotate the chicken to skin side up.
- Bake and serve— Cover skillet with oven-safe lid or aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven until rice has softened, about 40 minutes. Remove covering, adjust oven to broil, and continue cooking until chicken is crispy and beautifully browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Serve with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan
Cold chicken plus hot pan equals uneven cooking. Allow chicken to rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes beforehand. Pat chicken dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture, which leads to soggy skin.