Tasty Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 cans whole peeled tomatoes (14 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh thyme or basil for garnish, optional
- Sauté the aromatics—Heat oil and butter in a 5-quart Dutch oven or casserole over medium-low heat. When butter melts, add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Stir frequently to avoid burning garlic. Add flour and stir to coat onion and garlic.
- Make the soup—Add chicken stock, tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, and oregano to pot with aromatics. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently to ensure flour doesn’t stick to pan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Blend soup and serve—Remove from heat and purée soup on high with immersion blender or blend in batches by carefully transferring hot soup to a blender container. Return to pot to reheat, if needed, then ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh thyme or basil.
Trade out the whole tomatoes for the same amount of diced or crushed tomatoes. The soup won’t be as silky smooth, but the flavor will be equally amazing.