Try a twist on pasta primavera with our creamy, comforting risotto packed with fresh veggies and nutty Parmesan. Risotto takes a little extra time (and patience), but it’s worth every minute!
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 pound cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot or 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- Handful fresh thyme sprigs
- Heat the broth—Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover to keep warm.
- Sauté the veggies—Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan or deep skillet over medium high heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, and bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until veggies begin to soften—about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Start the risotto—Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in sauté pan over medium-high heat. When butter melts, add diced shallot or onion and sauté for 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in rice and cook until rice becomes translucent at edges, about 2 minutes. Pour in wine and simmer, stirring occasionally, until absorbed—about 3 minutes.
- Cook the risotto—Add a ladle of broth and simmer, stirring frequently, until liquid is almost absorbed. Continue adding broth 1 ladle at a time, allowing each addition to be almost absorbed before adding the next. Continue until risotto is creamy and rice is almost al dente, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Finish and serve—Add cooked veggies, 1 cup Parmesan, and lemon juice and zest, along with another ladle of broth and continue stirring until veggies are heated through, about 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper, as needed. Sprinkle top with grated Parmesan and garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.