Slow Cooked Pear Orange Cranberry Sauce
Yields: 8 to 10 servings
Time: 10 minutes prep, 2 hours 30 minutes cooking
- 3 large firm pears, peeled, cored and cut into ¼” dice
- 24 ounces fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries (about 5 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange, divided
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Select the Brown/Sauté Mode on the GreenPan Elite Slow Cooker and set the temperature to 400 F. Add the pears to the slow cooker and cook, stirring regularly, until they start to brown and caramelize all over, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the cranberries, brown sugar, orange juice, half of the orange zest, and a pinch of salt, stirring to combine. Select the High Temperature Slow Cook Mode and set the timer for 2 hours. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 60 to 90 minutes or until the cranberries have mostly burst and released a lot of juice.
- Turn the lid slightly ajar to allow some steam to escape and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 60 to 90 minutes or until it has reduced down to a nicely thickened cranberry sauce that will hold its shape when picked up with a spoon. Stir in the remaining fresh orange zest (saving some for garnish if desired). Taste and adjust with salt, brown sugar, and orange juice. Transfer to a bowl and serve warm or at room temperature.
If you don’t mind adding a bit of alcohol, a ¼ cup of port or a few tablespoons of dark rum added along with the other ingredients makes for a delicious take on this recipe!
For even more added texture, we like adding 1/2 to 1 cup of dried cranberries during the last hour of cooking. They’ll soften just enough, while still giving a great extra bite to the sauce!