Butternut Squash Soup with Curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can light coconut milk (14 ounces)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Full-fat coconut milk, for garnish
- Toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Sauté the aromatics—Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes. Be careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Cook the squash—Add butternut squash to pot along with curry powder, cinnamon, a pinch of salt and a little freshly ground black pepper. Stir to coat evenly. Cover and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the liquids—Pour in coconut milk, vegetable broth, and maple syrup, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 -20 minutes.
- Purée the soup—Use an immersion blender on high to purée soup until silky smooth and creamy. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Garnish and serve—Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk and sprinkling of toasted pumpkin seeds.
No immersion blender?
Carefully transfer soup to a traditional blender and purée. Return soup to pot and continue cooking for a few minutes till it’s heated through.
Valencia Pro Ceramic Nonstick 8-Quart Stockpot with Lid
Crafted from hard anodized aluminum for maximum strength and scratch resistance, this spacious 8-quart stockpot has plenty of room for family-sized stews, seafood boils, and so much more.