Autumn Wild Rice Salad
Yields: 8 servings
Time: 20 minutes prep, 1hr 15 minutes cooking, 1hr 35 minutes total
For the salad:
- 2 cups wild rice, rinsed
- 4.5 cups water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup pepitas
- 5 cups arugula (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
For the apple cider vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Select the Grains mode on the Essential Smart Skillet and set the timer for 1 hour 15 minutes. Pour in the wild rice and water, along with the sprigs of thyme. Cover, and cook for the duration of the timer. When the rice is fully cooked (it will be tender but still have a bit of texture), drain, remove the thyme sprigs, and transfer the rice to a large mixing bowl.
- Wipe out the Essential Smart Skillet insert and select the Sear/Sauté mode, setting the temperature to 300°F and the timer for 10 minutes. Toast the pepitas for 5 to 10 minutes until they start to make popping noises and are turning golden brown. Turn off the Essential Smart Skillet and remove the pepitas to a plate to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, honey, sumac, salt, and pepper. While whisking quickly and constantly, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
- To the large mixing bowl with wild rice, add the arugula, herbs, cranberries, and half the goat cheese. Taste, and if needed add a bit more vinegar, salt, or pepper, to taste. If serving immediately, pour in the vinaigrette, tossing to combine until everything is evenly distributed. (If serving later, wait to add the dressing until right before, as it will cause the arugula to wilt.)
- To serve, top the salad with the toasted pepitas and the remaining half of the goat cheese.
Go Wild! – We love how wild rice delivers a healthy mix of protein and fiber, along with powerful antioxidants. And did we mention it’s delicious?
Mix It Up – Make this recipe your own by swapping goat cheese for crumbled feta, cranberries for dried cherries, or toasted pine nuts for pepitas.
Elite 6-Quart Essential Smart Skillet | Premiere Stainless Steel
Whether you’re searing a steak, perfecting a complex stew, or simply making rice, this family-sized 6-quart skillet gives you room for any meal. The high sides eliminate splatter and make it easy to toss your ingredients without worry.