Moroccan Chicken with Olives and Lemon
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Time: 25 minutes prep, 2hr 30 minutes cooking, 2hr 55 minutes total
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked pimenton
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup pitted green and black olives, split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 fresh lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Remove the chicken thighs from the refrigerator and place on a large plate or baking tray, patting them dry with paper towels. Season the smooth top sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Select the Brown/Sauté mode on the Premiere Slow Cooker, set the temperature to 400°F and the timer to 20 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil into the pan and allow it to come to temperature. Once the oil is shimmering, place the chicken thighs in the pan, seasoned side down. Working in batches, sear the chicken on the seasoned side for 4 to 5 minutes until lightly golden brown. Flip them and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more on the opposite side, then transfer to back to the large plate or baking tray.
- Add the onions to the Premiere Slow Cooker and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, or until slightly softened. Add the garlic and all the spices, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes more, until the spices have darkened in color and are very aromatic.
- Select the High Heat Slow Cook mode and set the timer for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Return the seared chicken along with any accumulated liquid, back into the Premiere Slow Cooker, stirring carefully just to coat the chicken with the spices. Layer the olives, raisins and lemon slices on top of the chicken and pour in the chicken stock.
- Cook, covered, for at least 2 hours or until the chicken easily falls apart.
- To serve, remove the chicken to a large platter. Taste the sauce and adjust with salt and pepper as needed. Spoon the olives, raisins, lemons and sauce over the top of the chicken. Garnish with the chopped cilantro and mint. If desired, serve alongside cooked couscous or rice.
Get Toasty – Add amazing depth of flavor by toasting spices in a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Stir frequently for a few minutes, until your kitchen smells incredible.
No Cinnamon Sticks? – No problem! Sub in 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon in place of the 2 sticks. Taste and add more cinnamon, if desired.
Elite 6-Quart Slow Cooker | Premiere Stainless Steel
With our advanced slow cooker, you can sear meat and veggies in the pot, then go low and slow to finish the job. Take your time while cooking, then clean up quickly with Thermolon™ Volt, a healthy, PFAS-free ceramic nonstick...