Yields: ~8 waffles
Time: 20 minutes prep, 15 minutes cooking, 35 minutes total
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the batter—Add all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt) to a large bowl and whisk till everything’s combined evenly. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Pour milk mixture into dry mixture and stir with spatula or wooden spoon until evenly combined. Batter will be lumpy—resist the urge to over-mix.
- Whip the egg whites—Add egg whites to a medium bowl and whip with an electric mixer to stiff peaks.
- Finish the batter—Gently fold whipped egg whites into batter until fully incorporated. Set aside to rest while waffle iron preheats.
- Prepare to cook—Preheat oven to 200° Fit your Premiere Ceramic Nonstick Waffle Maker with Classic or Belgian plates and turn dial to Classic or Belgian setting. Turn light/dark dial to select shading. (You may want to err on the lighter side and adjust the dial to add more time, if needed.) Press texture button to choose from fluffy to crispy. When preheat is complete, a beep will sound and “Preheat” will no longer appear on display.
- Make the waffles—Ladle waffle batter generously onto the center of lower plate. Working quickly, use a spatula to distribute batter evenly. (Add more batter, if needed.) Close lid. When three beeps sound, waffles are done. Use non-scratch utensils or tongs to transfer waffles to a baking sheet. Place in preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm.
Short on Time?
Skip whipping the whites and add whole eggs to the wet mixture. The waffles won’t be quite as fluffy, but no one will complain with a mouth full of chocolate-y deliciousness.
Take Flavor to New Depths
Coffee enhances the chocolatey-ness of our waffles without any discernible bitter notes. Just sub in 1/2 cup brewed coffee in place of 1/2 cup milk or add a tablespoon (or two!) of espresso powder.
Elite Ceramic Nonstick 4-Square Waffle Maker | Premiere Stainless Steel
This waffle maker features two sets of plates so you can master classic waffles or thicker Belgian-style waffles. And whether you like yours light and fluffy or dark and crunchy, our waffle maker puts the power in your hands.