Creamy Pepper Gravy
With a zesty kick from fresh-ground peppercorns, our silky gravy makes a welcome addition to your Thanksgiving spread. Enjoy it on turkey, mashed potatoes, or straight from a spoon!
- 3/4 cup poultry drippings
- 3 cups milk1 cup water
- 3/4 cupall purposeflour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, plus more to tasteFresh thyme, for garnish
- Prep the ingredients—Whisk milk and water together in a medium bowl. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Start the roux—Add poultry drippings to a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until nicely browned. Sprinkle in flour mixture, whisking continuously, until browned and smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes. Bring roux to a boil, reduce heat to low, and pour in liquid mixture, while continually whisking.
- Finish the gravy—Continue cooking, whisking frequently, until gravy thickens, about 5 to 10 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle garnish with fresh thyme and serve warm.