Fret Not Corn Fritters
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 1/2 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp fine white cornmeal
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a large bowl.
- Add the corn, jalapeño, green onions, and chives. Toss until the vegetables are coated.
- Mix the milk and eggs together in a measuring cup until incorporated, then pour into the flour and corn mixture. Stir with a spatula until the flour is gently mixed thoroughly. The batter will be thick, but you shouldn’t overmix it. Set aside while you heat the oil.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Drop 4 large spoonfuls of the batter evenly around the pan and flatten each slightly with the back of a spoon or a spatula. Cook until edges begin to set and bottom is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook until puffed, brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more. If using frozen corn kernels, they may need an additional 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the fritters to paper towels with a spatula. Finish making fritters with the remaining batter.
- Transfer finished fritters to a plate and serve warm.