Lamb and Dungeness Crab Surf and Turf
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Time: 3 hours 15 minutes prep, 30 minutes cooking
For the Surf and Turf:
- 3 pounds Alaskan King Crab Co. Dungeness Crab Clusters
- 1 Market House Frenched Rack of Lamb (1.5 to 2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 cup fresh parsley, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large navel oranges, peels and pith removed, quartered
For the Chimichurri:
- 2 cups fresh parsley, destemmed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, stems included, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, destemmed, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small shallot, peeled and minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (more, as needed)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Using the back of a heavy chef knife or a strong pair of kitchen shears, lightly crack the shell of each leg segment on all the Alaskan King Crab Co. Dungeness Crab Clusters. Take care to crack them just enough to allow the marinade to reach the meat, but not so much that the shells fall apart. Place the clusters in a large mixing bowl and set aside in the refrigerator. Place the Market House Frenched Rack of Lamb in a large mixing bowl and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Place all the remaining Surf and Turf ingredients, except the oranges, in the bowl of a food processor or a blender and pulse into a textured paste just loose enough to coat the crab and lamb. If needed, add a bit more olive oil to achieve the proper consistency. Taste and adjust as desired with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Divide the marinade evenly between the crab and the lamb and using your hands rub both to evenly coat. Transfer both back to the refrigerator, covered, and allow them to marinate for at least 3 hours.
- While the crab and lamb are marinating, prepare the chimichurri by stirring to combine the parsley, cilantro, oregano, garlic, shallot, red wine vinegar and a 1/2 cup of the olive oil in a small mixing bowl. If needed add more olive oil to get the consistency just loose enough to fall easily off a spoon, but just thick enough that the herbs cling loosely together. Taste and adjust as desired with vinegar (it should be quite acidic), kosher salt and red pepper flakes.
- Remove the lamb from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature for at least 20 minutes. Lay the Premiere Multi-Grill, Griddle & Waffle Maker open flat, with grill plates on both sides, and preheat both plates to 425 F. Remove the crab from the refrigerator.
- Place the lamb on one grill plate, meaty side down, and cook 6 to 8 minutes until well browned with nice grill marks. Flip and cook on the other side 4 to 5 minutes more. Reduce the heat on that grill plate to 350 F and loosely tent the lamb with aluminum foil. Continue to cook, turning every 5 minutes and covering again, until the lamb reaches 125 F in the center for medium rare. Transfer the lamb to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes, again covered with foil.
- While the lamb is cooking, grill the crab clusters on the opposite grill, working in batches. Using kitchen tongs, turn the clusters every 2 to 3 minutes until they are well grilled with bits of char marks on the shells and marinade, with the legs fully warmed through, about 8 minutes. As each cluster is finished, transfer them to a large serving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm while continuing to grill the rest.
- Lightly rub the orange quarters with a thin layer of olive oil and grill on the same plate the crab clusters were on, 3 to 4 minutes until lightly charred with nice grill marks. Remove them from the grill and set aside.
- To serve, slice the lamb between the bones to make individual chops and arrange them next to the crab clusters on the serving platter. Scatter the grilled oranges evenly around the platter and drizzle everything with a bit of chimichurri, garnishing the platter with a bit more cilantro and parsley if desired. Serve warm immediately with the remaining chimichurri on the side.
For quicker cooking on the lamb, slice into individual chops before marinating and grill on 450 F for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare.
Thawed crab legs will cook more evenly than frozen. Place them in the fridge overnight or quickly thaw them in a colander under cold running water.
Elite Multi Grill, Griddle & Waffle Maker | Premiere Stainless Steel
Discover a world of flavor on your counter with the Multi Grill, Griddle & Waffle Maker. The three plate options offer an endless array of possibilities—from classic paninis to perfect Belgian waffles, so you’ll always have the right plate ready.