D’Artagnan Roast Turkey with Black Truffle Butter
Yields: 10 to 12 servings
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes prep, 3 hours cooking
- 1 D’Artagnan USDA-Certified Free-Range Organic Turkey, 12 to 14 lbs
- 1 pound D’Artagnan Black Truffle Butter Log, cold
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Take turkey out of fridge about an hour before you plan to roast. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Season the cavity of the bird liberally with salt and pepper.
- Using your fingers, carefully pull skin away from breast and leg meat, being careful not to puncture the skin. Slice rounds of the black truffle butter and slide under the skin, making sure to place the rounds evenly under the skin.
- Season the skin of the turkey liberally with salt and pepper and truss the bird.
- Place the turkey on the roasting rack in a large GreenPan roasting pan, breast-side-up, and roast for 30 minutes.
- Lower temperature to 325 degrees F and continue to roast for 15 to 16 minutes per pound, for an unstuffed bird, about another 2 hours and 30 minutes. A thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh will register 175 degrees F. The breast will cook to 165 degrees F.
- Remove turkey from the oven and let rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
For extra crispy turkey, season the skin with salt and pepper the night before roasting it, then leave it uncovered in the refrigerator. The salt will pull moisture out of the skin, allowing it to evaporate overnight, resulting in a cooked turkey that won’t go soft on the outside!
Pair the flavors of the black truffle butter with extra aromatics! After seasoning the cavity, fill it with one whole onion, peeled and quartered, a handful of garlic cloves, and plenty of fresh herbs such as sage, thyme and rosemary!