No-Knead Artisan Bread
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour, plus more for shaping
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast (or 1 single-use package)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- Mix the dough—Add flour, yeast, and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Pour in water and stir with wooden spoon or spatula to combine. It may seem like the wet and dry ingredients don’t want to combine, but keep stirring and they will come together. When wet and dry ingredients are fully incorporated, dough will be very sticky. Cover bowl and allow dough to rise at room temperature until dotted with air bubbles and almost doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Shape the dough—Add a light dusting of cornmeal or flour to a nonstick baking sheet. Set aside. Transfer dough to a floured surface and cut in half. Use floured hands to shape dough into 2 loaves. Place loaves about 3 inches apart on baking sheet and cover loosely with floured plastic wrap to avoid sticking. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F and allow loaves to rise for another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake the bread—Right before baking, use a sharp knife or kitchen shears to score loaf with three diagonal slashes, about 1/2-inch deep. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes until crust is nicely browned. Check for doneness by gently tapping loaves. If they sound hollow, they’re good. If not continue baking for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Allow bread to cool before slicing and serving—if you can wait that long!
Commercial ovens use steam to create ultra-crispy crusts, but you can recreate the effect at home. After oven preheats, place a metal baking pan on bottom rack and pour in 3 or 4 cups of boiling water. Slide baking pan with dough onto a higher rack and quickly close the oven door to trap steam.
Our GreenLife Ceramic Nonstick Cookie Sheets bake artisan bread to crisp perfection. Plus, the extra nonstick coating makes cleanup incredibly quick and simple.